Author E.M.S. is proud to announce its campus schedule for winter 2014. Our goal is to provide the best current information on topics that will help authors operate more efficiently, productively and profitably. Click on a course title for registration and details on that class. Take a look at what we’ve got planned.
To hear about upcoming classes at Author E.M.S., sign up for our mailing list. Be sure to click the box for Online Campus Schedule Offerings and Updates. Thanks!
Intro to Your Self -Publishing Business April 13 — May 17, 2014 $50
Self-publishing provides an amazing opportunity for authors to take control of their own publishing career. It’s also a lot of hard work.
This five-week lecture series and discussion group is designed to teach students about the business of self-publishing books digitally and in print. When an author chooses to self-publish a book, it means supervising the production and distribution process. We’ll cover all the basics from the perspective of building a successful, long-running business:
- basics of self-employment models: sole proprietor, LLC, corporation
- protecting your privacy if you write under a pseudonym
- registering copyright
- obtaining ISBNs and when they’re necessary
- finding and working with freelance editors, formatters and cover artists
- distributing directly to retailers vs using aggregators or publishing services
- self-publishing audio books and foreign translations
- where and how to sell your book
- building a basic timeline and budget
- best practices for building your self-published book
- understanding metadata and how and where it’s used
- is self-publishing really for you?