Paper.li is a powerful tool to create an online newspaper or e-zine with content of your choice.
We first introduced you last July to the notion of Paper.li as a terrific tool to create a daily online newspaper based on tweets or Facebook posts. (See our July post here.) Paper.li has grown since then, and here’s the latest you should know.
- They experienced some technical difficulties that took all newspapers offline for a few days last week. If you already have an account with them, you should login and check all newspapers you’ve created to make sure they’re up-to-date.
- Paper.li now offers an iPhone App. We could not find an Android version yet.
- Under your Paper Settings (after you login), you can how often your newspaper compiles a new edition: weekly, daily or morning & evening editions. Consider how much information you’re feeding your newspaper to decide how often you want to update.
- You can now add up to 10 different streams of content to any one newspaper. This means you can include individual users on Twitter, Twitter lists, Twitter memes (#), keywords on Twitter, Facebook or Google+, an individual Google+ user and even RSS feeds.
- Paper.li now offers a “bookmarklet” (browser button) that you drag to your bookmark bar. As you surf the Internet, when you find an image or specific article you wish to include in your newspaper, you click the Paper.li button and tell it what content to add to what newspaper. Paper.li adds it to your next edition.
- Paper.li does have some technical glitches that have to do with sites built on Ajax scripts. For example, we haven’t yet been successful in embedding a Paper.li in our WordPress website. This may also make it difficult to pull stories from Facebook pages or from YouTube.
- You can embed a Paper.li widget into your site or blog or a Paper.li app onto a Facebook Page. (Note: the FB app does not appear to be working. We suspect the new Timeline rollout on FB Pages is the problem. We’ll update this post as necessary.)
- You can set-up Paper.li so it automatically tweets daily about your latest edition.
- And…as the editor of your newspaper, you can view your new edition and rearrange or remove articles. This is a powerful way to make sure your content is what you want.